Saturday, January 24, 2009

SUBHASH MAHAJAN - BASKETBALL - THE MAN FROM KAPURTHALA

After 56 years I suddenly understand why I am a basketball player, coach and promoter. I AM FROM KAPURTHALA - the nursery for basketball players of India - CAN ANY TOWN BOAST OF four Arjuna awardees in Basketball.

Can you believe that the first captain of Indian baskebtall team was from Kapurthala - NOW HOLD IT!

The first captain of Pakistan basketball team was ALSO FROM KAPURTHALA.

Its easy to ignore history - but it always repeats itself with a vengenance. As I lived the first nine years of my childhood [before being bundled off to
The Punjab Public School, Nabha] I think the genes of basketball were being sown in me by just being a Kapurthalaite. AND I CAPTAINED THE HOUSE TEAM when in ninth and CAPTAINED the school team when in tenth.

Now I have established SUMPOORNA BASKETBALL SCHOOL - sumpoorna [subhash mahajan son of Shri Puran Chand Gupta] - KAPURTHALA HAS REACHED BETTA SHAMBHUNAHALLI - an effort to rewrite the glorious history of basketball.

I think my new name should be SUBHASH MAHAJAN KAPURTHALIA -
do you like it?

No comments: