Sunday, August 8, 2010

SOME PLAYERS ARE GIVING A BAD NAME TO BASKETBALL

I could have done without writing this but I have always believed in `NIP THE EVIL IN THE BUD'. It is time to do it. Great players bring glory to the game, their nation and the family. Some players bring bad name to the game.

Young children are easily influenced by their peer pressure. So the responsibility of the senior players is to monitor such players' attitudes. The coach can only do `so much'. As a coach - I have had a face-off with many basketball players - including some - who were my students once upon a time. I AM A SOFT COACH - that is my character. I am alarmed at the `viral infection' of disobedience in today's players. As their skills improve their attitude changes for the worse. THEY THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING. Insolent children cause trouble to themselves and their families. They bunk school, college and other activities to indulge in `maniacal activities'.

Though, we are able to identify such players early on - we do not how to handle them. If we are too harsh, they leave the group and unmonitored they are a threat to everyone around them. If we are too soft, they take advantage. I have tried the carrot and stick policy and sometimes it works - and sometimes it doesn't work. It is heart-breaking to see these sports prodigies destroy their personality, character and the opportunity to become a good human being.

When other parents see such type of behaviour in basketball players - they blame the game. Hence it is the responsibility of the coach to ensure that along with the practice sessions - certain amount of time should be devoted to talking about `attitude'. I have used most of my theory classes on attitudes - children wonder what I am talking about - the `culprits' look into my eyes in a challenging way - LET US SEE WHAT YOU WILL DO.

As a basketball player - I always listened to my coach - I always played to the whistle; As a basketball coach - I tried my best to put in the `winning combinations' - allowed the bench to play [if we had a comfortable lead]; As a basketball promoter - I have given my players `good environments' and `level playing field'. I hope to continue to do this and bring a `good name' to the game.

No comments: